Live Florida Country Life
6,862 main house
Florida Country Living at its finest!
The road is named after Henry Clay “Junk” Whaley, who’s family of the real old school Florida cowboys and original cattle ranchers from over 100 years, Clay Whaley Road continues the legacy of this hard-working pioneer family who enjoyed the pleasures of simple rural Florida country living at home.
Situated on nearly 20 enchanting acres lies a stately Neoclassical all brick Colonial estate with a beautiful wide front porch supported by classical columns and is a natural choice for those who feel at home with characteristic style.
Just inside the main house, the airy foyer, with its majestic double curved walnut staircase, embraces soft, ambient light in the hallways and open second floor. A short distance to the back of the home reveals an island kitchen with a bay-window breakfast nook overlooking the private, picturesque backyard that’s perfect for gazing at the abundance of wildlife. Five fireplaces add warmth to the living room, dining room, kitchen, game room and the master retreat. Four Suite-style bedrooms, two with secrete private rooms, home theater, and gentleman’s room.
Main Home First Level
Main Home Second Level
About Saint Cloud
St. Cloud is a city in northern Osceola County, Florida, United States. It is located on the southern shore of East Lake Tohopekaliga in Central Florida, approximately 26 miles (41.8 km) southeast of Orlando. The city population was 35,183 in the 2010 census, and 40,918 in the 2013 census estimate. The city is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford metropolitan area.
St. Cloud was originally founded as a retirement community for Civil War union veterans, gaining the nickname "The Friendly Soldier City".
During the 1870s, Hamilton Disston of Philadelphia took an interest in developing the region while on fishing trips with Henry Shelton Sanford, founder of the city of Sanford. Disston contracted with the Florida Internal Improvement Fund, then in receivership, to pay $1 million to offset its Civil War and Reconstruction debt. In exchange, Disston would be awarded half the land he drained from the state's swamps. He dug canals and, in 1886-1887, established St. Cloud sugarcane plantation, named after St. Cloud, Minnesota, although many long-time locals state the town was named after Saint-Cloud, France, located fairly close to Paris.
Diston opened the Sugar Belt Railway to the South Florida Railroad in 1888 to carry his product to market. But the Panic of 1893 dropped land values, and the Great Freeze of 1894-1895 ruined the plantation. Disston returned to Philadelphia, where he died in 1896. The Sugar Belt Railway merged into the South Florida Railroad. An attempt to cultivate rice in the area failed, and for several years the land remained fallow. Then in 1909, 35,000 acres (14,000 ha) were acquired by the Seminole Land & Investment Company as the site for a Grand Army of the Republic veterans' colony. St. Cloud was selected because of its "health, climate and productiveness of soil." It was first permanently settled in 1909 by William G. King, a real estate manager from Alachua County who had been given the responsibility "to plan, locate and develop a town."
On April 16, 1909, the Kissimmee Valley Gazette announced the “New Town of St. Cloud,” a “Soldiers Colony” to be near Kissimmee. The newspaper called the purchase by the Seminole Land and Investment Company “one of the most important real estate deals ever made in the State of Florida.” It was reported that the officers of the company had searched all over Florida for the perfect site for a veterans’ colony, particularly one especially suited for “health, climate, and productiveness of the soil.” It is believed that many of the streets were named for states from which the Civil War veterans had served, but the street names were already assigned to the platted land before settlement occurred.
On June 1, 1915, the Florida Legislature incorporated St. Cloud as a city. Its downtown features landmark buildings by the Orlando architectural firm of Ryan & Roberts, a partnership consisting of two women. The buildings by Ryan and Roberts and others in the downtown area are predominantly Spanish Revival.
In recent years, St. Cloud has tried to separate itself from neighboring cities, and particularly the theme parks, by promoting an image of small-town life, as well as attempting to make itself economically less dependent on Kissimmee. On March 6, 2006, St. Cloud introduced CyberSpot, a program which gives residents free high-speed wireless Internet access. The city then ended Cyberspot, quoting "it's too costly". The city is served by the Osceola Library System.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.2 square miles (24 km2), of which 0.11% is water. St. Cloud is located on the southern shore of East Lake Tohopekaliga, a water body which is exceptionally clear, with good visibility to depths of 7 to 9 feet (2.1 to 2.7 m). East Lake is nearly circular in shape and covers approximately 12,000 acres (49 km2). It is a perfect example of what is often called a "dish-pan" lake. It produces many trophy bass annually. A familiar sight along the shores of East Lake Toho is the rare, protected Florida sandhill crane.
The major highway is U.S. Route 192 running in tandem with U.S. Route 441 east and west. This six-lane road is intersected by avenues running north and south. Many have names of US states in no particular order.
Tohopekaliga [from tohopke /(i)to-hó:pk-i/ fence, fort + likv /léyk-a/ site], also referred to as Lake Toho, West Lake, or simply Toho, native name meaning "we will gather together here", is the largest lake located in Osceola County, Florida, United States. It is the primary inflow of Shingle Creek, which rises in Orlando. It covers 22,700 acres (91.86 km2), and spans 42 miles (68 km) in circumference. It is linked to East Lake Tohopekaliga by Canal 31 (St. Cloud Canal). The canal is 3 miles (5 km) long and runs through western St. Cloud. South Port canal is located at the southern tip of the lake and links it to Cypress Lake. It is 4 miles (6 km) long. Lake Toho is bordered on the northern shore by Kissimmee, on the eastern shore by Kissimmee Park, and South Port on the southern shore. Lake Tohopekaliga is known for its bass fishing and bird watching. Lakefront Park is located at the South end of the lake and borders Lakeshore Blvd. Lakefront Park has a scenic walking path with benches where visitors may view the area's wide array of waterfowl, alligators, turtles and others. Lakefront park also has a miniature lighthouse, a children's playground area, and is bordered on its west end by Big Toho Marina.